BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, January 16, 2012

Heart Song

I've switched lollipops with Jessica, trading my green apple for her cherry one as we lean against the counter opening into the tattoo artist's lair. We've just had dinner and ambled our way into the shop, with the proprietors probably wondering if we're too drunk to be there… or guessing by Tiff's frickin cardigan that we're probably lost. On the contrary, Tiff's leaned back with her jeans unbuttoned scandalously low on her hips as the man with the buzzing needle hovers over her comparing the stencil to her skin. My own stomach is still pretty sore from my turn on the seat and I take in my lollipop in mild comfort as we watch the needle rise and fall.

Tiff was in band. Not the hormonally-charged one American Pie glorified, but the kind with nerdy students with bad acne. She was first chair flute if I recall correctly when we first became friends in the trailer-infused world known as Narammonsia. I'd later find out that she actually played piano too, and in the years that would follow she'd eventually be taught by my own piano teacher and we'd even manage to play a duet together: Pachelbel's Canon in D (She'd get stressed during evaluations and I'd gotten to the point of accepting that I could never keep the proper tempo).

Suffice to say, music's been a big part of my wife's life. She's never allowed herself to follow solely mainstream songs and I remember listening to Angels Should Die on her CD player (Geez, anyone remember those???) among other random songs (musicals included) that we'd eventually accumulate in the next decade of our friendship. Hence, the reason why we've managed to find ourselves in Lou's Tattoos with Jessie in tow watching her take on her first tat. It doesn't take too long although I do find enough time to circle around the shop for a bit and take in the photos of naked women wearing nothing but the ink etched into their skins. Tiff takes in the experience with stride, reacting only once when the tattoo artist lets the needle seep a little too close to her hip bone. Her parents will be marginally scandalized (more her dad than her mom) and in a week she'll be contemplating her next tattoo. 

As for this one, it's all about the music:

"...I believe it is one thing that is able to convey emotions no matter the language... and background. And even though I only play for myself and very infrequently now, music is still something I hold dear."

Yup, like an example for all good girls, Tiff's keeping her most precious element near and dear and in her pants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment